Saturday, July 30, 2011

Up-Cycled Kids Bench

When I found this great bench at our thrift store, DI, for $6 I was SO excited to grab it up and turn in into something my kids {and little front porch} would love! The bench was sturdy and very well put together, just not quite my style...


This suits us a little better!


I started by taking apart the whole bench so I could paint each piece the color I wanted (oh and I used spray paint for the whole project). I know I took pictures of painting each part but I can NOT find them on any of the 4 memory cards I have-who knows.

Sooooo, the one pic I have is when I painted the purple and turquoise trim white. I had already painted the body of the bench red, so to not get any white paint on it I covered the body in garbage bags by using push pins to hold the bags in place so only the trim was showing and spray painted away. It worked like a charm!


White trim with no white on the red bench! The outsides of the bench I painted using chalkboard spray paint. I was skeptical as this was my first time using chalkboard paint at all-much less the spray paint kind-but was SOOOO pleased with the outcome.


It came out smooth and black-just what I was going for! ha ha! I just used simple, cheap white chalk to outline the kiddos hands and write a little message. I messed up tracing Kylee's hand and the chalk wiped off just like a chalkboard, leaving no residue-I was impressed!


For the other side I copied an idea I had seen floating around blog land. I'm so sorry that I can't give credit for where I saw it, I didn't save it (didn't have pinterest back then :) ) and now I can't remember!


I think she is oh so lovely and the kids LOVE sitting on little chairs that are just their size so they think it's pretty cool there's something they can both sit on just for them!


Now...like I mentioned in my last post it's not quite finished in the sense that I feel it's missing something. I love the way it turned out, but it needs....what?!


I have a cricut so I was thinking I could maybe cut some vinyl lettering for it and this is what I came up with (using picnik editing, I'm kinda thinking it would look like this :) )...
WITH vinyl:


withOUT vinyl (as is now):


view from the front WITH vinyl:


view from front as is now:


So I don't know what do you think? Should I leave it as is? Should I adhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifd the vinyl? Just one of the sayings? Both? Something different altogether? A little pillow? Help! ha ha!

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I love my readers and I know you have great ideas so help a sista out! :) Have a sweetly Lovely day wherever you are!

Linking up to these great parties as well as:
UndertheTableandDreaming Beneath the Rowan Tree

26 comments:

Christina'Marie said...

Thank you for stopping by and showing some love :)
You have a beautiful little family and I will now continue browsing your lovely blog ;)
<3

PC said...

When I seen the bench in the last post, Ithought it was perfect ...Now, this is perfectly Love Sweet Love!

Cyndee @ Restyled Junk said...

Very cute! I can't believe it was only $6 and you did it all with spray paint. It turned out wonderful! It looks good without the Cricut lettering, but it also looks great with it.

Highpoint Circle said...

Very nice makeover, I love that spray paint myself. Found you at Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop and we are neighbors at the party. Hope to see you at my place soon too.

Thepearsonfamilee said...

A.DOR.ABLE! What a great idea. Especially the black chalkboard paint! Have a great week!

Maggie Lamarre said...

this is adorable, luv it w/the stencils.
I'm inviting you to join our linking party every Wednesday at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/hgtvs-cash-cari-with-linking-party.html
Have a fabulous week,
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Karima said...

I love this, what a great transformation, Karima www.karimascrafts.com

the cape on the corner said...

i like the sit and stay awhile. what a great redo!

Cox Family said...

Ok really you amazing I can't believe the stuff you think of I love the bench WITH the vinyl :)

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

SO fun!! Love the colors you choose, esp using the chalkboard paint!!

Thanks for linking up to “Strut Your Stuff Sunday” on our blog!! We always look forward to seeing your amazing projects!! :)

Kristine
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Jessica :) said...

Very nice! I love the transformation. I have to admit, the before pic wasn't exactly my style either. I definitely like the after better. :) And what a great idea! I'm not sure I would get it because, again, it wasn't my style. I have to remember that a little paint can really change things up! As far as the vinyl idea, I like one or the other but I wonder if both makes it look crowded? Of course, that's entirely up to you. They are both cute, though. It does add a little something special to it. Also, I think a pillow would also make a nice touch. Good luck deciding the final factors of the bench!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

very cute makeover! I especially love the chalkboard paint!

Trina said...

Just popped in from craftomatic link up and I think this is great. I like the vinyl look you have planned. Thanks for sharing.

Melanie said...

Super cute redo! I still can't believe you picked it up for only $6! That's great!

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Great redo! I love the glossy paint! I like the plain version because the architecture of the piece is so complex. Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

Thanks for linking up to this week's Tuesday Confessional. :) You were featured, so grab a button and get your brag on!
http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/08/few-faves-from-this-weeks-tuesday.html
~Macy

Tasha Anderson said...

SO cute and way more updated! I love it!
Thanks for sharing the fun at Pinkalicious Thursday!
XOXO,
Tasha
www.frugaliciousme.com

Stacey said...

Much better now!!

I definitely think just one saying, but hard to say which one! The home sweet home goes with the "house" look up top. But then it is a place to sit!!

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

We are featuring this beauty on our blog tomorrow :) Thanks again for linking up and sharing :) Please feel free to grab and button and get your brag on ;)

Unknown said...

great job!

Kylean said...

That is super cute! I love the colors!
Ky
http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Very cute! I like the sit & stay awhile quote. That would be super cute. :) Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog.. if you haven‘t already. ;) Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower, too}. :)

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Jami said...

Great bench! Thanks so much for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi www.blogger.com owner, are you interested in links exchange? Reply to my email
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRet0JZSr00]Unlock Sony Xperia V[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e5ZkYGnpfA]Unlock Samsung Galaxy Express[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGeNetKo3o]Unlock Motorola Electrify M[/url]

Anonymous said...

How to unlock your mobile for free
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2N7FMzNNv8]Unlock Nokia 6210 Navigator[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIoFHs5s9w]Unlock Nokia 6110[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XEO63rZynM]Unlock Nokia 6120[/url]

Anonymous said...

A lot of quality articles i see on your www.blogger.com
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xsUMR-zwMc] Unlock Nokia 6555[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lFx0PVIOZM] Unlock Nokia 6600 Fold[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ojmZVjcSBk] Unlock Nokia E7 00[/url]