Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sweet Tute Tuesday-Wipes Band

Every Tuesday will be Sweet Tute Tuesday here on Love Sweet Love, where I will share a new tutorial with you! This week I wanted to share with you a project I was working on last week; a wipes band I made for my sister who will be having a sweet baby girl in TWO weeks! The baby's nursery will be black and pink so I found some fun fabrics in those colors and went to it!



You might remember I also made THIS one for my sweet neighbor:

but I didn't post a tutorial with it so this time I thought I would!

The original idea came from the awesome talent of Ellie G who blogs at Less Cake More Frosting (you can find her on my side bar too!) and I kinda love these so much I can't stop making them! If you invite me to your shower, guaranteed this is what your gettin'! Want to make one too??? OK-I'll help you! I know, I'm a really great person, you should totally meet me IRL.

First gather some supplies:

  • sewing machine
  • Wipes holder (we use huggies for my little love...who needs to be potty trained I know, don't push me.)
  • measuring tape
  • scissors
  • safety pin
  • straight pins
  • 3" elastic-I bought mine at JoAnns
  • 1/4 yd. of fabric for the band (mine is from the H.L.)
  • scraps of coordinating fabric for the flowers (also H.L.-and if you don't know what that stands for I'm not sure we can be friends cause that place is pretty much my BF)
There's a cost breakdown at the end of this post if you're interested (hint-it's less than $5! Am I cheap? Perhaps, but I prefer thrifty! :) ) Let's get started!

First measure the circumference of your box.


Subtract about 2 inches from that number and that's how much elastic you will need because you want your band to fit nice and snug around the wipes.


If you use 3" elastic you will need double that much fabric (b/c it's getting folded around the elastic), plus about an inch and a half (to give you some seam allowance). So I cut my fabric at 7 1/2 inches wide by the entire length of the fabric (which was 44 inches-if you have 1/4 of a yard you will have enough)


Next, fold your fabric (hot dog style-wow I miss elementary school) with the wrong side facing out and the right sides facing each other. Pin it in place down the length of the fabric so you sew in a (semi) straight line.


Sew down the length of the fabric with about a 1/4 inch seam.


Turn it right side out and you should have a nice little tube!


Next, place your safety pin on the end of your elastic and insert it into one side of the open tube.


Use the pin to pull your elastic all the way through to the opposite opening in the tube. Remove pin and make sure your seam is at the top of your tube. (if it got twisted while pulling the elastic through.)


Make sure the elastic is lined neatly up with the end of your tube and sew it shut-being sure to sew the fabric and elastic together-that's what I was trying to show you in the picture; don't actually sew it pulled back like that :).


One end done!


Now pull your fabric back towards the sewn end of your tube till the elastic inside is poking out the only remaining opening. It will be all bunched up-that's correct, just make sure the seam is still on top!


To get a nice finish on this end, curve a little bit of the fabric around the elastic like so:


Put a couple pins in there if you want a straight line and sew her closed! (making sure again to sew the fabric and elastic together!)


Now you should have a tube, with elastic inside, sewn closed on both ends. Yes? Wonderful! Now bring the 2 sides together and, with your pretty finished end overlap the other end by about 1/2 an inch and sew together.


And you have a wipes band! Sorta. That seam down the middle just doesn't work for me so what's our remedy to any uncuteness?


Embellishments! I made a couple different types of flowers to show my band some Sweet Love! 2 rolled flowers, and a fabric yo-yo. (The princess crown button on the yo-yo I already had and hot glued to the center-purchased probably 6 mo. ago from the H.L.)


NOW, we are finished. Cuteness saved.


The pink rolled flower ended up being a little big so I just moved the band over to the left a little and you can still open and close the lid to the case easily without smashing or bending the flower. Yum Yum, I hope she loves it! (the baby I mean, cause she will totally care where the ice-cold wipes that make her scream come out of.)


I can't wait to gobble up every inch of that newborn baby! Here's the total cost breakdown:
*Wipes case-already had
*24 inches of 3" elastic-$1.30 (from JoAnns)
*1/4 yd. zebra print fabric-$1.22 (on sale for $4.89/yd at HL)
*1/4 yd. pink fabric-$.50 (on sale for $2.09/yd at HL. Also I only used about 1/16 of the 1/4 so I still have some left over)
*1/4 yd. black/pink fabric-$1.22 (on sale for $4.89/yd at HL. I only used about 1/32 of the fabric so I have a LOT left over)
Total project-$4.24. I don't mind buying a little extra fabric (especially when it's on sale) when I'm doing projects like this, so that I can slowly start to build up a fabric stash. I'm a brand new sewer so I gotta start somewhere!

Thank you a million times over for checking out what I got goin' on over here! It SO makes my day every time I see you here visiting, you're the greatest! Check back soon for an easy, cute accessory to accompany our wipes band!


*Linking to the parties in the tab above as well as:

29 comments:

Carmella said...

Love it! Such a fun way to add style to a must have in baby land :) thanks for sharing! (any ideas for embelishments for a boy? I am expecting in early October and may have to get my sis to make one if these for me!)

Ashley said...

o my heck I LOVE it:) sooo darling!!!
you totally rock:)

Kaitlin said...

Super cute! It looks so fashionable now! Just wanted to let you know that you won my giveaway! Please comment or email me your email so I can get the gift card to you!

Kaitlin @ The Goodey Knot

Stuff by Ash said...

LOVE the pink and black! Sooo cute!!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

That's just too cute! Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

YeLLoWMeDaiSY said...

very cute! Can't wait to make one for my new little one who's due to arrive in 3 weeks. Come check out our blog when you get a chance! www.yellowmedaisy.com

Blessings!

alena rose said...

That turned out way cute!!

Katie said...

OMG! This is genius! Great job and the wipes box looks 10x's cooler now! I found you via What Allie's Making Now link party. I'm your newest follower and I'd love for you to link this up at Sew Woodsy

Crafts a la Mode said...

Really nice and I like the embellishments, too. I see a handmade rose and some fabric yoyos. I love those.

Best wishes, Linda

Unknown said...

These are adorable and i love Ellie G too! Thanks for linking up wtih DIY under $5!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

those are adorable! And I don't blame you for making them for everyone that is having a baby! Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party!

Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

That is so cute! I love that you don't have to worry about the top at all. I will have to make one of these soon!

Homemade Heather said...

Totally cute! Thanks for sharing ~ come by and say hi sometime!

AllieMakes! said...

Very cute! Love the zebra print!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Leanne said...

That is darling! Thanks for linking to the party.

Leah said...

Such an improvement over the plain wipe case, love these!

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

I've seen these done, but yours is darling!!! We are having a new series on our blog that starts tomorrow... Help a Momma Out :) PLEASE feel free to link this up!! Totally saving it so I can try it!! Thank you for sharing!!

www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

ellie g said...

That turned out way cute! I love zebra. In fact I just bought a zebra print coat...and it makes me feel SUPER spunky! I'm so glad you're making these! Aren't they so fun. I just love giving a personalized gift, that doesn't cost a ton. Thanks for the shout out! :)

katrina adams said...

so cute! always fun to make something not so cute...look cute!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Hey I featured this on my blog today! yay! Come grab a button :D http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/06/your-whims-wednesday-10-and-features.html

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

Thanks so much for the follow and linking up to "Help a Momma Out" on J&M's Eye Candy! We appreciate it!

www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Darcie Helt said...

Thank you for this detialed tutorial with pictures! I makes it all so clear! Can't wait to make some! FUN!

Tami said...

cant wait to try it! It is adorable, and easy to follow! thanks for the tut!

Unknown said...

louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louboutin pas cher, nike roshe run, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, burberry, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, tory burch outlet, replica watches, ugg boots, air jordan pas cher, nike free, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, air max, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, prada outlet, ugg boots, nike outlet, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, sac longchamp, louis vuitton, replica watches, chanel handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, longchamp, uggs on sale, kate spade outlet, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short links with BCVC and get money from every visit to your short links.

yanmaneee said...

kobe byrant shoes
kobe sneakers
goyard handbags
supreme clothing
timberland outlet
curry 5
nike 97
balenciaga shoes
balenciaga sneakers
jordan shoes

yanmaneee said...

jordan shoes
curry shoes
golden goose outlet
golden goose outlet
100% real jordans for cheap
lebron shoes
pandora
off white
air jordan
lebron 15

Unknown said...

allez maintenant Dolabuy Fendi regardez ici www.dolabuy.ru Cliquez sur ce lien sacs de répliques

Unknown said...

Get More Info pop over to this website This Site i was reading this This Site i was reading this