Monday, May 9, 2011

Kidney Bean Wreath

Pick a night this week, or next, but of course the sooner the better because you will wonder how you lived your whole life without this hanging in your house; where you can sprawl out on the living room floor, watch 5 or 6 chick flicks in a row-or actions, you know whatever you're into is cool-and become best friends with your glue gun while creating this:


I actually made this wreath before I started blogging so unfortunately I don't have a step-by-step process for you with pictures, but you'll need these supplies:


I already had the spray paint, glue gun, glue sticks and bag of kidney beans (expired food storage :) ) so the only thing I had to purchase was the circle wreath (bought from JoAnns with 40% off coupon so it was $2.40) and the ribbon to hang it (Walmart for $1).

1. First you'll want to spray paint your wreath red so that the white from the styrofoam won't show through the spaces in between the kidney beans.

*A spray-painting tip
: whenever you spray paint styrofoam (which I'm sure is all the time :) ) just do a light coat. I learned this lesson the hard way and spray painted a styrofoam ball one time with too heavy of a coat and it melts/shrinks/disintegrates-what have you, the styrofoam. My husband went into this way long explanation of chemical reactions and blah blah blah, but I won't bore you with that(even if I could remember it), just...don't do it. The purpose of painting it red first is just so you have a base color-not to actually create a red styrofoam wreath.

2. Next, you begin gluing the beans onto the wreath. I did mine just one row at a time. This is the best close-up picture I have where you can kind of see how the lines are created. Just don't put too much hot glue down at a time so that it dries before you can put on your beans.


3. Go all the way around and around and around the outside, front and inside of the wreath, but you don't have to do the back because no one will see that!


4. Make some kind of way to hang it up using ribbon!


5. Hang that baby on your wall!


6. See how much Sweet Love people give you on your fabulous new decoration! That YOU made! All by yourself! :)

Thanks so much for coming to visit me today! It means the world to me that you're here! Have a wonderful day wherever YOU are!

Linking up to the parties in my tab above as well as:
UndertheTableandDreaming

19 comments:

Just Jaime said...

Looks great! Love the texture the beans give!

cnelson said...

This looks so FAB!

Alisa and Sky said...

So I havent looked at blogs in forever and have missed all these cute posts!! Love them all!!

Unknown said...

Hi Angela, that is a project I like. Something for my single professional daughter's new digs. She would love that.
QMM

Unknown said...

Wow! What amazing texture! It would be fun to spray paint it a wild color afterwards too! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Lyndsey said...

I love this idea!! It looks great:)

Kelly said...

i love the color you chose! pretty!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

man, let me tell you, i really hate beans, but i love this wreath. haha. it looks so elegant!!

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday :)

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Beautiful! This must have taken you hours though!..You could even spray paint it for a pop of color..hmmm I like this idea!

Delighted Momma

Little City Farm said...

Turned out great. I love the colour you picked for the wreath.

Sarah said...

This is fantastic...wonder how it would look with other colored beans? Found you via the girl creative linky party! Thanks for the awesome idea!

liZ said...

WoW! You have some serious patience. The wreath is awesome.
liZ
(simplesimonandco)

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

This wreath turned out fab! All your time devoted to making it paid off :) Thanks for joining us and sharing with us this awesome post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Hey! I featured this on my blog today! Come grab a button :) http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/05/your-whims-wednesday-7-and-features.html

Ann said...

Angela! I've been meaning to tell you how much I love your blog! You are amazing. And hilarious. I especially loved your post about copying, because I plan to copy everything on here, haha! Thanks so much for sharing:)

Jessica :) said...

Just stumbled upon your blog {poppin' over from Little Tipsy} and I'm loving it! Could you please tell me how you made that bow to hang your wreath?? I'm loving that as much as I love this wreath but I have a really hard time making cute bows. Thanks so much!

Chef in Training said...

This is such a fun idea! I will have to give this a try! I am now following your blog and would love if you would come check out mine and maybe follow as well!

http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

thanks!
-Nikki

Julie said...

Thank you!!! I was planning to do something similar with beads, and I ended up wringing my hands in the craft store for about an hour yesterday looking at how many $3 bags of beads I would need :0 Beans popped into my head last night and I was thrilled to see this as an instant search return. This will be a perfect touch with the fall decor I'm putting together this weekend.

Bless you! :)

Unknown said...

louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louboutin pas cher, nike roshe run, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, burberry, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, tory burch outlet, replica watches, ugg boots, air jordan pas cher, nike free, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, air max, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, prada outlet, ugg boots, nike outlet, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, sac longchamp, louis vuitton, replica watches, chanel handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, longchamp, uggs on sale, kate spade outlet, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet