Sunday, May 22, 2011

Kitchen Jars

After living in our house for a year, I finally decided it was time to do something with all the phenomenal space above our kitchen cupboards-besides using it as a place to store the 20 different kinds of cereal we have at all times. (we sorta eat cereal...a lot. Like it's a problem.) Although the collage of colors we were getting from the different colored boxes was nothing less than breathtaking, I thought maybe it was time for a change. A classier look if you will.

I have a lot of height above the cupboards in the kitchen so I really wanted the decor to accentuate the space and take advantage of what I had. The first thing I did in the kitchen were the bean balls. Since they stacked upwards in the vase, I needed something to complement that tall, slender look, so when I found a set of unfinished wood candlesticks at the thrift store for .50 each I grabbed up all of them and knew exactly what I wanted to do! (painted the candlesticks with Rustoleum's black laquer spray paint)


Glue jars to the top and fill them with...FOOD (non-perishable)!


The glass jars were purchased from Hobby Lobby ($2 a piece on sale) and the lids were given a coat of the same spray paint as the candlesticks (originally silver).

You're kinda limited in what food items you can use since they need to not rot, grow mold, or smell funny. Oops...guess real garlic wasn't a genius idea. After about a week (no JOKE!) of wondering why in the world our kitchen smelled like onion breath we looked up and saw our science fair project was successful (garlic DOES continue to grow in glass jars. sweet.) This was taken before the growth.


Welp, no biggie! I found a strand of fake garlic at the dollar store and still have about 10 left (any takers???). I cut them off the garland and hoped they wouldn't look too fakey! I actually really like the look next to the other jars!


Pasta just makes me drool. Had to have it; plain and simple.


My mom gave me the idea for dried peppers and it works perfectly since my kitchen has a red/black/ pops of green thing going on. Man I {heart} that woman!


And there are my pretty little maids all in a row! (I also think these could look really cute with some vinyl lettering on the front of the jars as well!)


The decor on the right side of the kitchen from the view of me standing on the counter, leaning half of my back on the fridge and balancing my elbow on the cabinet. I know. You're welcome.


You can find the how-to on my decorative bean balls HERE.

The red star I found at a thrift store for $1.50

This silver plate was a wedding gift that I added the word and graphic to using black vinyl cut from my cricut and then placed it on an easel I already had.


This wreath was $1 at the thrift store and I picked up some berry stems from Hobby Lobby for .50 each (used 2) and wrapped them around the wreath for a little touch of Sweet Love.


This is the view when standing on the floor.


Only problem is now I actually have to walk out to the garage to pick a new box of cereal. Although I have noticed a slight decrease in our consumption...maybe this is a good thing!

Can I just tell you how much I LOVE you being here with me on my little ol' blog?! It makes my day to see you popping over to say hello! Have a LOVELY day! Don't forget to enter my first GIVEAWAY!!

Linking up to the parties in my tab above as well as:
UndertheTableandDreaming

18 comments:

PC said...

Why do you have to make you stuff looks so LOVEEEEEEE...I just bought some beans for the Bean Balls projects and now I think I need to grab some glass jars and candle sticks. Your mad fan and follower - PC

AsylumTanya said...

This is another great project by you. I don't know why I wasn't your follower before, but I am now. I would love it if you would come over to Greetings From the Asylum and follow me too!

Anonymous said...

Such a neat idea. Who woulda thunk--decorate your kitchen with food! :)

Thanks for sharing with So Sweet Sundays!

Marie Anne said...

Love this idea almost as much as the bean balls!

Found you through Creative Bloggers Party and now following!

Sweet Floweret said...

Cool idea!
Would you consider linking up to my "20 minute tuesday" party at this address tomorrow? http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com
It's for projects that: take 20-30 mins and cost less than 10 bucks.
Great place for people to come and check out quick and inexpensive ideas!
Thanks for considering!
Tina
PS: I'm giving away 20 more button pony tailers! Here's the info:
http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/p/may-winners.html

Rachel Goff said...

Love your blog!!! Any way to follow you via email?
RG

Jaime Lyn said...

Hello my friend---your e-mail address is not working....so I guess I will have to just tell you via your blog comment once again that I LOVE your idea---lets totally do a blog swap! I think that is the BEST idea ever! I just adore your blog and would be so honored to make a little crafty appearance and likewise I would just love to have you on my little blog! How about we come up with a time frame to shoot for---I am thinking sometime towards the early-middle of June....(I am still unpacking and now decorating like crazy and my blogging and crafting is a bit sporadic at the moment...and I want to come up with something super cool for you blog!) Let me just say once again that I am so happy we are blogging friends! I can't wait to see what you think!
Jaime
from Crafty Scrappy Happy

Amy said...

Love the kitchen jars! What a fantastic idea.

the nayz said...

I have 9ft ceilings and a lot of space above our cabinets and this would look awesome.

stacinay.blogspot.com

sherri lynn said...

The jars on the candlesticks is such a good idea! I just found your blog and am enjoying it :)

Unknown said...

Wow Angela congrats! You om is awesome I am a huge follower, blogger is not being very nice to me this days, but as soon as the glith is over I will come back and join.!

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

Love the onion story! The jars look great!
Visiting you from TT&J

PC said...

I have finally made it! Yeah.. but not as 'polish' and "classy" as yours...still love your version better. Just don't drop your jaw when you saw mine..please comment too! :)!

Anonymous said...

dude.. that's garlic. not onions.

Love Sweet Love said...

Ha ha! Thank you Mrs./Mr. Anonymous! I am dying laughing right now at my idiocy! I've corrected it now, appreciate it! Next time, feel free to use your name to comment. Things like that don't offend me. I just love that you took the time to come visit AND correct me!
Angela

Anonymous said...

lmxvgj ekncvs moncler 販売店 モンクレール アウトレット ダウンジャケット ovyydgwz 御殿場アウトレット モンクレール モンクレール 青山 モンクレールメンズダウンジャケット hnoykgk iqthfte vhnta Blogger: Love Sweet Love - Post a Comment sykjfpj bottes imitation ugg homme bottes ugg bottes ugg australia avis znvcpyty bottes ugg fabriqu�es chine bottes femme bottes ugg pas cher 2011 qksqtzvu

Unknown said...

louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, louboutin pas cher, nike roshe run, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, burberry, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, tory burch outlet, replica watches, ugg boots, air jordan pas cher, nike free, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, air max, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, prada outlet, ugg boots, nike outlet, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, sac longchamp, louis vuitton, replica watches, chanel handbags, louboutin, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, longchamp, uggs on sale, kate spade outlet, nike free, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet

Unknown said...

qzz0601
coach outlet
barcelona jersey
canada goose jackets
longchamp handbags
kate spade outlet
ugg boots
cheap jerseys
minnetonka outlet
adidas uk
coach outlet store online