Friday, February 3, 2012

The Love Shack

As I mentioned last week, The Shack...Radioshack, holds a very special place in my love story.
Without it, the BOY wouldn't have met the GIRL, and the GIRL wouldn't have ever known the difference between a red, white and yellow TV cable. And most importantly, there wouldn't be two little sweet loves that call us parentals.
Whiiiich is why The Shack become fondly known to us as...The LOVE shack.

I had been wanting to create some little valentine mailboxes, similar to this idea, that I could stick a little note or treat in for my two kiddos every day until Valentines day (starting in Feb. :) ) but I couldn't find little mailboxes like that anywhere!! I came up with a few other ideas of things I could put ontop of a candlestick to create a mailbox type project and when I saw these little birdhouses in the $1 aisle at Michaels I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

Make some *Love Shacks* to house love notes for my love birds!


I love that we now have a more aesthetically appealing, meaningful object that reminds the Mr. and I of our beginnings (the old, rusted Radioshack magnet on the fridge has now met the garbage man-thank goodness!!) and we can include our kids now by making new memories with them!

I started with these 2 wood bird houses-I tried to pick one that was a little more masculine for my boy :)-and painted the one for little miss K sweet pea pink, and the one for the little Mr. metallic silver (by Rustoleum).


And because I can't just leave well enough alone, I had to add something to make them...standout. :) I have lots of glitter around my house, so I decided to add a little sparkle to the roofs of the birdhouses. I just applied a thin layer of Mod Podge to the roof and poured on the glitter (this pic is from before I shook off the excess).


And then I had a craft FAIL moment. Splotchy white glitter on pink roof=hot mess.


So I had a momentary freak-out moment, ran back to my stash of glitter and re-covered the roof with ruby red. WOW! Just the bold statement I was looking for. In yo' face bird house.


Then I dug out some glittery scrapbook sticker letters to spell out "Love Shack" on the houses.


Since I couldn't really figure out a way to put a "flag" onto the side of the bird houses-like a mailbox has-I just used these heart picks I had leftover from the dollar store last year, snapped them in half, put each of my kids initials (scrapbook sticker letter) on their heart for their shack (added a little rhinestone bling to miss K's of course) and the houses were done!


I chose to go with silver, red and black colors for Tyler's shack, for ONE because my husband would have died if their was pink anywhere on his sons birdhouse (I was already treading on thin ice with that as it was :) ) and TWO, because after seeing the metallic and black together I felt okay adding GLITTER to his because it reminded of a tuxedo! That shiny metallic and black just says STUD to me, ha ha, so I added a little black "bow-tie" to the front of the candlestick I had painted black to finish off the look.


That's when I went back and added a pink bow to the roof of Kylee's shack, to add just one more touch of femininity and compliment the look of the stud standing next to her ;).


Both candlesticks were purchased from a thrift store over a year ago for .50 each (and I painted them red and black for this project), but you can find glass candlesticks at the dollar store year round! They are glued to the birdhouses using E6000.


Since the holes aren't quite big enough to stick a treat in (without losing it!), I'm just sticking a new "love note" inside for each of them everyday! They just eat this stuff up, I love it!!








So happy that 2 little buckaroo's turned into this...


I dare you not to have "Love Shack" stuck in your head all day now. You're welcome. :) Have a fantastic weekend, see you back here next week and thanks for dropping in!

20 comments:

cnelson said...

Cutest idea EVER!!! LOVE it!!!

Bec@littlelucylu said...

Aww! Too darn cute! :-)
Love it!
~Bec

nap time journal said...

love the tuxedo look for sure! Super cute.

Tonii said...

Every time post a project, I think "THIS is the cutest thing she has ever done!" And then a few days later...you top that one!! I am amazed at your creativity and then your execution! So darling!!

Just Jaime said...

Very cute! Love the glitter!

Jessica :) said...

*LOVE!* This is so much fun. I love that you used something to remember the memories that mean something to you and your guy and to create new ones with your little ones. What a fun idea! And I really love the glitter. Perfectly Valentine-y (and for your little guys, I would add without being feminine). :)

Alecia @ ChickenScratch NY said...

love the tuxedo idea! and that little birdie on the bottom is so sweet!

I've got this pinned for V'day

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Love this idea! I pinned it.

Coley said...

Love this! I adore those bird houses at Michael's and have done many things with them!

Just Jaime said...

Hey Angela, we're starting a link up party on our blog and would love to have you share this and your gumball machine and anything else there!

http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/02/wayward-weekend-week-3.html

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Aww!!! Those are absolutely aDORable and I love how much meaning this project has to your family. They turned out SO cute, and I love how you put the little notes in there...sweetness! I'd be thrilled if you'd share it at my Shine On Fridays party!

oneartmama.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

Those are so cute! I might just have to put those on my to do list for the boys bathroom but obviously call it something else. Thanks for sharing!

SheilaE said...

So sweet! I love the houses and the story behind them. Y'all are an adorable family:)
Sheila
swirlygirldreamsndecor.wordpress.com/

Michelle Paige said...

These are just the cutest things! Thanks so much for linking up to my Valentine Link Party!

Gen @ Color Me Domestic said...

I am SO doing this! Probably minus the candlesticks, or they will be added later. Got the birdhouses already today! First Valentines craft, here I come, thanks for the idea! And yeah the red is so much better.

Anonymous said...

Your birdhouses turned out so cute! I love that it's a his and hers type project". And "Love Shack" is so stuck in my head right now!

~Angela

Stacey said...

This is really cute - I love the ribbon you added - that was a great touch! Thanks for linking up - come and visit me and follow - linky party on my blog coming very soon and I would love to have you!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Stacey said...

Love this idea so much I had to feature it today! Come stop by and see - grab a featured button while you are there! Come back tomorrow with something to link up - it's my first linky party! I would love to have you!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Alisa and Sky said...

LOVE these!! Such a good idea! Wish I would be better about looking at blogs so I could have seen this before v-day!

Unknown said...

qzz0601
thunder jerseys
michael kors outlet
cheap jordans
oakley sunglasses wholesale
g-star jeans
canada goose outlet
air jordan 4
mcm outlet
michael kors outlet
bulgari jewelry